TechGirlz has postponed in-person TechShopz workshops due to coronavirus, but that hasn’t deterred the organization from its mission of inspiring girls to explore the possibilities of technology.
To ensure girls still have access to technology related, hands-on workshops, TechGirlz has rolled out new virtual workshops and instructional webinars, available for anyone, anywhere. In fact, volunteers have led more than 25 virtual workshops since March 25, and many more are scheduled.
Some of the virtual workshops that have been conducted are listed below and many others are being adapted for virtual use. You can see a full list of scheduled workshops here.
- 3D Computer Graphics & Animation with Clara.io
- Animation & Graphics with Python
- Computer Programming with C++
- Create Your Own Map Using Open Data and CARTO
- Intro to Encryption - How to Protect Your Information
- Make a Website Using HTML/CSS
- Python Programming
- The Internet of Things (IoT) and Smart Devices
- Using Computer Simulations to Help Solve Complex Problems
- You Can Be a Photographer: Photography for Marketing
Back to the beginning
TechGirlz — a nonprofit organization operated by Creating IT Futures, CompTIA’s tech workforce charity — started with a singular vision: To change how middle-school girls think about technology. We do this by engaging them in free, fun, hands-on workshops on topics ranging from how to use Photoshop to building a webpage.
The workshops became so popular TechGirlz packaged them as TechShopz in a Box™ and made them widely available for parents, teachers and other mentors to use, free of charge.
How can you support TechGirlz?
Parents, organizations, schools, and companies can help keep girls engaged with technology in many ways:
- Volunteer – Many opportunities abound for leading, assisting, or providing support for workshops. Get started here.
- Sponsor – TechGirlz is committed to keeping programs free, which makes donor support so important. Sponsorship opportunities are available from $500 to $5000, with more information about sponsoring virtual workshops and instructional webinars found here. These sponsorship opportunities will be available for in-person TechShopz once social distancing has concluded.
- Donate – Make a direct donation here.
- Run your own TechShop for your TechGirl at home. Our TechShopz in a Box curriculum is available for free download here. Better yet, virtually invite some of your TechGirl’s friends to do it “together.” Be sure to share the fun comments or photos with us on social media using the hashtag, #techgirlzathome
- Start planning for the summer! TechGirlz has lesson plans for in-person and virtual TechCampz available for download. Use one of our prebuilt TechCampz in a Box programs or, for a small fee, work with the TechGirlz staff to create your own custom TechCamp plan that includes a daily itinerary, advertising, and swag!
To receive TechGirlz news and updates, click here.
Related links from Creating IT Futures:
- TechShopz In A Box™: Free, fun and engaging hands-on tech workshops for teenage girls from TechGirlz (blog)
- TechGirlz Inspires Middle School Girls to Create with Technology (blog)
- Creating IT Futures Acquires TechGirlz to Inspire Middle-School Girls in Tech (blog)
- 7 Myths Deflecting Teens from Tech Careers – Part 1 (blog)