With two weeks remaining in the Faces of Workforce Development showcase, it is a good time to revisit weeks 1-10:
- Opening doors to unforeseen career paths.
- Building confidence through workforce development.
- Motivating factors in workforce development.
- Workforce development helps complete the career mission.
- The role of continuing education in workforce development programs.
- The importance soft skills play in successfully reaching your goals.
- Putting a stop to dreading the end of the weekend.
- Workforce development programs lead to great jobs with great benefits
- From warehouse inventories and forklifts to a career in tech, thanks to workforce development.
- Knowledge, insight and initiative leads to promotion.
If you’re eager and motivated to change the direction of your career – for the better – IT-Ready just might be calling your name.
IT-Ready is an on-ramp to a successful career in information technology. We offer education, training and job placement for qualifying unemployed and under-employed adults who enjoy and are comfortable using technology, but who lack formal job experience in the IT field. We particularly encourage an IT path for populations that traditionally have been under-represented in the information technology workforce, such as women and ethnic minorities.
One individual who checked both boxes was Catalina Bauer. Every three years, Bauer, a Colombian native, had to worry about saving up enough money to renew her United States residency. Within one year of graduating IT-Ready, she secured full-time employment with Hennepin County, and the money she was once worried about saving went to obtaining her United States citizenship.
“I am very grateful for IT-Ready since this is the best job I have had in the last 12 years. During all these years, I have been trying to save money to get my citizenship and I finally did it. It is such a good feeling to know that I don’t have to renew and pay for my residency every three years.
“I feel thankful. I have been finding opportunities that have taught me many different things, not to mention the chance to meet and learn from different people.
“This is the starting point of my career. And while at this time, I haven’t made a clear decision about what road I am going to take, I feel like everything is open to me. I would never have been able to get into this field without IT-Ready. I am learning so much, and just having a good job makes my life so happy. I love to come to work every day.”
Her story remains powerful and an inspiration to us all here at Creating IT Futures. Thank you, Catalina.