Be a Mentor
CompTIA Members and other IT industry professionals who volunteer to mentor an IT-Ready Apprentice know they are helping to give someone new to the field a better chance at success.
Mentors don't have to live in the cities where the apprentices work, as mentoring can be virtual or in person. We need a mix of mentor backgrounds so that we can try to make appropriate matches.
Here's how it works:
- Fill out the online IT-Ready Mentor Application below.
- If you are matched with an IT-Ready Apprentice, you will be notified via email and your information will be sent to that apprentice just prior to them starting their six-month apprenticeship.
- Mentors are expected to take part in a short web-based training to learn what is expected and how to be effective.
- We will encourage apprentices to connect with their mentor on a regular basis, but there is no requirement of the apprentices that they do so. Just knowing they have someone to turn to can be a huge help.
- Mentors are expected to attempt regular communication, to check in by email or phone at least once a month (put it on your calendar!) If you are located in the same city as your apprentice, you have the option to meet in person once a month.
- When an apprentice graduates from the program, mentors have the option of re-upping their involvement with another apprentice.
- The next round of apprentices are due to be trained in Spring 2013.
Questions? Contact Colleen Attwell, Director of Development, at (630) 678-8335, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download the Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)